Grenell Condemns “Vapid and Intolerant” ‘Les Mis’ Actors; Calls Out ‘American Idol’ for Lin-Manuel Miranda Hire

Richard Grenell, who was named as the temporary head of the Kennedy Center by President Donald Trump, is criticizing politically insensitive artists who refuse to perform at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., because of Donald Trump’s recent association with this prestigious arts venue.

Grenell was particularly incensed by the exclusive CNN report from yesterday that highlighted a troupe of around twelve performers who are part of the traveling cast of the musical.
Les Misérables
when Trump attends a June 11 performance.

In a statement originally provided to Entertainment Weekly and then retweeted on Grenell’s X account, the special envoy seemed to be suggesting the creation of some sort of a Black List. He wrote last night, “Any performer who isn’t professional enough to perform for patrons of all backgrounds, regardless of political affiliation, won’t be welcomed. In fact, we think it would be important to out those vapid and intolerant artists to ensure producers know who they shouldn’t hire – and that the public knows which shows have political litmus tests to sit in the audience.”

Grenell also said cryptically that “the Kennedy Center will no longer fund intolerance.”

The
Les Miz
The situation marked the second instance this week where Grenell commented on artists and their political leanings. On Monday, Grenell published an X post criticizing ABC’s
American Idol
For hiring renowned musical theater artist Lin-Manuel Miranda as a special guest mentor for the upcoming two-part Disney Night event (scheduled for Sunday, May 11, and Monday, May 12).

In March, producers of
Hamilton
Including the creator of the hit musical, Lin-Manuel Miranda, cancelled a scheduled 2026 performance at the Kennedy Center. He criticized the “recent purging by the Trump Administration” of the institution’s professional staff and center-generated events.

Considering these recent developments, we can no longer, with good conscience, continue our participation and association with the new environment being enforced at the Kennedy Center,” stated producer Jeffrey Seller. “As such, we have decided to cancel the third engagement.
Hamilton
At the Kennedy Center, initially planned from March 3 to April 26, 2026.”

“Disgraceful, @AmericanIdol,” tweeted Grenell. “Having @Lin_Manuel as a mentor for young individuals just three weeks following him withdrawing his performance at the Kennedy Center due to inability to collaborate with Republicans clearly aims to promote political bigotry. What we require are artists who entertain all audiences instead of those who vet attendees based on their voting records. This was a poor decision, @abc.” Grenell also included FCC head Brendan Carr in his tweet.

Neither Miranda nor the show’s other producers ever said they wouldn’t perform for Republicans. They objected to Trump’s specific actions at the Kennedy Center.

Efwebehas reached out to
Les Miz
Producer Cameron Mackintosh along with ABC. We’ll provide updates to this post if we receive a response.

Shortly after assuming his role, Trump upset numerous individuals within the entertainment industry by removing half of the Kennedy Center’s board members—many of whom had been nominated by Joe Biden—and appointing himself as chairman. In March, Trump complained that certain performances at the Kennedy Center were “very tiresome” and overly aligned with the far-left political spectrum. Earlier, in February, he announced via social media that he intended to restore greatness to the Kennedy Center.
announcing his plan
in February to remove those from the board “who do not share our Vision for a Golden Age in Arts and Culture.”

Since Trump took over, Shonda Rhimes has
resigned from the board
from the Kennedy Center, and Issa Rae
canceled a show
set to take place at the location. In the meantime, Trump has
faced backlash from supporters
of the Kennedy Center’s
cancelled touring children’s musical
Finn
, the
Men’s Gay Chorus of Washington D.C.
And the International Pride Orchestra regarding canceled shows.

As reported by ABC News, Trump plans to host a fundraising event for the Kennedy Center on that evening.
Les Misérables
performance.



More from Efwebe
  • Joe Biden told “The View” he wasn’t shocked by Donald Trump’s victory in the 2024 election, attributing Kamala Harris’ defeat to sexism and COVID-19.
  • Donald Trump Reveals UK Trade Agreement, But Movie Tariffs Still Loom

Leave a Comment